This is an updated version of my allergy friendly macaroni and cheese recipe that was published several years ago. While it has wiggle room for different brands of products and substitutions, I have indicated the products I found the most successful and taste the best. (These are not paid endorsements. They are my own recommendations.)
- Brown Rice Pasta 1 package
- Vegetable Oil 1/4 cup
- Gluten Free Oat Flour 1/4 cup
- Sea Salt 1/2 tsp
- Ground Black Pepper 1/4 tsp
- Ground Mustard 1/4 tsp
- Coconut Milk Beverage 2 cups
- Vegan Cheese, like Daiya Brand 8 ounces
- Nutritional Yeast (optional) 1 tbsp
- Nutmeg dash
- Seasoned Gluten Free Bread Crumbs 2 tbsp
- Cook brown rice macaroni according to package directions, until cooked but still firm (al dente). Reserve 2 tablespoons rice pasta water. Drain macaroni. Rinse with cold water.
- While cooking macaroni, heat oil in 3 quart saucepan over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and mustard. Cook over low heat until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in milk, reserved pasta water, nutritional yeast and nutmeg. Heat to boiling stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Return to warm burner and stir until cheese is melted.
- Gently stir macaroni into cheese sauce. Heat until hot stirring occasionally.
- Pour into ungreased 2 quart casserole dish, sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs and bake uncovered at 350º for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.
© 2015 Michaela C. Jones