This recipe is by far one of the easiest, most versatile dishes that can be made. Serve it as a side or as a main. It is excellent served with toppings such chopped veggies and sautéed meat or vegan crumbles and cheese. Mush it up and and add an egg and it can become a meatless burger patty. Options are nearly endless. I make it vegan so our whole family can enjoy it just by adding his or her favorite toppings or sides.
- Olive Oil 2 tbsp
- Onion, chopped 1 large
- Garlic, minced 3 cloves
- Uncooked Brown Rice, short grain preferable 1 cup
- Dried Lentils, brown or green 1 cup
- Vegetable or Chicken Broth 4 cups
- Water 1 cup
- Ground Cayenne Pepper Pinch
- In large 4 quart pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic. Cook until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice, lentils, broth, water and cayenne pepper. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and cover. Simmer about 50 minutes until rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed. Season with salt to taste as needed. Serve as a side dish or main course with various toppings such as chopped chicken, green onions and favorite cheese.
This recipe first appeared in author’s book Make It Allergy Free. Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.