- Chicken or Turkey Andouille Sausage, cut into bite size pieces 1 lb
- Chicken Thighs, boneless and skinless ,cut into bite size pieces 1 pound
- Garlic Salt 1 tsp
- Olive Oil 2 tbsp
- Scallions, chopped, reserve some for garnish 1 bunch
- Green Bell Pepper, chopped 1 medium
- Yellow Onion, chopped 1 small
- Garlic, minced 3 cloves
- Chicken Broth 3 cups
- Diced Tomatoes 14 oz, about 1 1/2 cups
- Cajun Seasoning, like Michaela's Kitchen 1 tsp
- Quick Cook Brown Rice 2 cups
- Season chicken pieces with garlic salt. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in dutch oven.
- Add sausage and cook until browned. Remove sausage to bowl and set aside.
- Add additional oil to skillet if needed. Add chicken and sauté until starting to turn opaque.
- Add scallions, bell pepper, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables a softened, about 5 minutes.
- Return sausage to pot. Add broth, tomatoes and seasoning. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue to cook uncovered 3 to 5 minutes until of desired consistency.
- Serve with reserved scallions sprinkled on top.
* You can also use regular andouille sausage, just adjust oil as needed as some sausages have more fat than others. However, the chicken or turkey andouille creates a lighter dish.
**I use canned tomatoes in this dish when fresh is not available. If you are allergic to tomatoes, you can leave them out and it would still be tasty. Just add a little smoked paprika to the seasoning step to add a little color and smokiness to the dish in place of tomatoes. I also love the taste of fire roasted tomatoes in this dish. If you use fresh, you may have to adjust your liquid.
***If you are not allergic to seafood, try also adding a few shrimp to this dish during the last 5 to 10 minutes of cook time.
This recipe first appeared in author’s column on Make It Allergy Free. Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.