For easy prep I like to use canned tomatoes and beans for this dish. You can certainly use fresh though. Look for organic options to reduce potential allergens.
- Chicken Thighs, skinless and boneless 2 lbs
- Olive or Vegetable Oil 2 tbsp
- Gluten Free Oat Flour 1/4 cup
- Garlic Salt 1 tsp
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder 2 tsp
- Chipotle Chili Powder 1 tsp
- Ground Cumin 1/2 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon 1/2 tsp
- Onion, halved and thinly sliced 1 large
- Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes 14.5 oz can
- Chicken or Vegetable broth 1/2 cup
- Organic Cooked Pinto Beans, drained 15.0 oz can
- Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet (enough to cover bottom) over medium high heat.
- Generously season chicken with garlic salt. Dredge in oat flour. Cook chicken a few minutes on each side just to brown, cooking in batches and adding a little more oil if needed. Place chicken in slow cooker. Scatter onions on top.
- Add cocoa powder, chili powder, cumin and cinnamon to tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Pour tomatoes over onions, making sure all the onions get wet. Pour in broth.
- Cook in slow cooker on low for 8 hours or high for 4-6 hours. During last hour, stir in pinto beans and break up large chicken pieces. Serve as desired with rice and tortillas.
* You can also use regular diced tomatoes or fresh diced tomatoes. I always look for corn-free organic canned tomatoes. You will need about two cups if using fresh.
** If you won’t be home to stir in the beans, you can leave them out and serve on the side. Optionally, you can just omit the beans all together and use the chicken for tacos. Yum! For a lighter version, you can also use 1/2 chicken thighs and 1/2 chicken breast.
This recipe first appeared in author’s column on Make It Allergy Free. Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.